Sunday 4 May 2014

Which cleanser to choose... Oil, Balm, Cream, Micellar Water....?

A break down of cleansers, what they do and why.....



Strolling the aisles of boots its very easy to be overwhelmed by all the products on offer. Difficult to know what does what and if its right for you.
I'm going to focus on the different types of cleansers available and give a brief explanation of each....well my interpretation at least!.


Cream Cleanser. 
In the form of a wash off / tissue off. A cream cleanser that you remove by washing off with a flannel and water or tissue the excess off. I much prefer to use a cleanser that I then remove with a warm flannel. Feels lovely and relaxing to remove the day by washing off. Depending on which cleanser you use this type doesn't strip the skin as isn't harsh. I like to use Bare Minerals Purifying Cleanser or 
Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish.



Foamy Cleanser. 
I prefer not to use this type of cleanser. My reasons being, are that the foaming action creates an alkaline PH on your skin. Which is a bacteria's delight so I tend to steer clear! But it is a personal choice, whatever works for you. 

Scrub cleanser. 
I don't like to scrub at my face with anything that has beads or seeds in. Again a personal choice, but my skin is sensitive and is easily irritated by the scratchiness of the beads. If I do use a scrub it's an exfoliating scrub in the form of a powder or toner such as Pixi Glow Tonic (i have previously reviewed here) or Bare Minerals Exfoliating Powder. This is as the name suggests a powder you mix with a bit of water to form a paste to then apply to your face and gently remove with a warm flannel.



Facial Oil Cleansers.  
I used to be scared for fear of a cleansing oil making my face even oilier, or leaving an unpleasant greasy film behind on my face however that is not the case at all! Oils are really nice to use, they are very effective at removing all traces of your make-up, dirt and pollution. Feels nice when applying almost like a mini face massage. Doesn't leave your face dry or feeling tight or stripped at all. Current favourite of mine is the Body shop camomile facial oil cleanser. Lovely and soothing. I have reviewed the camomile range here



Cleansing Balm. 
Starts off as a near solid, and looks a bit like lard!! However, warm it up in your hands it begins to melt and you can spread and massage all over your face. Have heard good things about Clinique's take the day off cleansing balm. Not tried it yet, but hope to in the forseable future. 
One I have tried and love, if only it wasn't so expensive!! ...Is the Emma Hardie Moringa cleansing Balm 
(Not reviewed it yet but will do soon!) 



Cleansing Butter. 
This is similar to the balm but not as solid. Again warms up in your hands. You apply all over your face it melts away the dirt. Rinse off with warm water and a flannel. Nice and gentle to use, apply and leaves your skin lovely soft and nourished. I am really enjoying the Body Shop's Camomile Cleansing Butter, mild with a soothing fragrance to it.
Cleansing butter top left in the screw top tin.
Micellar water
This is a fairly new way of cleansing. Since the French Bioderma Sensibo cult product, both L'oreal and garnier have made much more affordable versions. With others following hot on their heels. These micellar waters do a fantastic job of removing make-up with a few swipes of a cotton pad. No need to rinse. Ideal to use as a make-up remover or a pre cleanser before using another cleanser of your choice.

Micellar waters don't contain alcohol, soap and fragrance free so are ideal for sensitive skin. 
Doesn't leave skin feeling irritated or tight. How they work, is the micelles draw out the impurities, instead of spreading them around your face.
My review of the Bioderma Micellar water can be found by clicking here

Cleansing Wipes
Last of all there are cleansing wipes, which as I said before skincare is a very personal choice. 
I prefer not to use wipes as I feel they spread the dirty around your face and some contain alcohol which can be drying for the skin and cause stinging and irritation to the face.

Hope this helps you with choosing your cleanser.
Any questions feel free to comment x


Take time for you. Take care and look after yourself.
Thanks for popping by luv acesparklestar xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment